Macchi C.202 Camouflage

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Ole Sparenberg
Pilota

Macchi C.202 Camouflage

Post by Ole Sparenberg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 am

Hi,
I'm currently working on my first Italian scale model, Hasegawa's 1/72 Folgore. There are several attractive paint schemes to choose from and finally I decided on the aircraft pictured in the squadron/signal C.202-booklet on p. 22, "1-378", a plane from 51. Stormo with light spots on a dark base colour.
I guess the colours are blotches of Nocciola Chiaro 4 over Verde Oliva Scuro 2, but is that correct? Or could it be something from the older Giallo Mimetico and Verde Mimetico range of paints?
And what about the lower surfaces? On the rear fuselage the camouflage seems to be wrapped around and the sides of the belly radiator are also finished in the same scheme as the upper surfaces. But how was the bottom of the radiator finished? Grey like the wings or green/hazel like the fuselage? On scale models of C.202 in the "smoke ring"-scheme you can see both variants.
Any help or comment or additional information on this specific aircraft is appreciated.
Thanks!
Ole.

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Rick » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:00 am

Ciao
The airplane you are speaking about is from Aermacchi production; the camouflage of the upper surfaces is in Verde Oliva scuro with mottles of Nocciola Chiaro; this camoflage extends to the lower surface of the nose, to the lateral sides of the radiator, while, for the belly surfaces of the fuselage , behind the radiator, the Nocciola chiaro mottles reduce their presence till only the Verde oliva
scuro is left in the middle of the belly.
The airplanes produced by Breda or Ambrosini never wore this kind of camouflage and also the distribution of the colors between the upper and lower surfaces was different
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Ole Sparenberg
Pilota

Post by Ole Sparenberg » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:04 pm

Thanks a lot! You answered all my questions!