Colours for SM airliners

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
provencenut
Pilota

Colours for SM airliners

Post by provencenut » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 am

Hello!

I'm a new member on this group, interested in the golden era Italian airliners. I'm trying to solve out some colour for the converted S.79 I-ALAN. I suppose that the main colour has been Bianco Avorio 5 (am I right?), but what has been the colour for the cheatline and LATI title? It definitely has not been the same green as in rudder. I suppose that it has been medium or dark blue. Also I'm wondering the colours for LATI's SM82, as the cheatline has again not been the same green as in the tricolor band. Any suggestions?

Mika

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Welcome to Stormo Mika. The top surface color of I-ALAN was Bianco Avorio, in common use on both civil and military aircraft before WWII. Regarding the subsequent use of I-ALAN for a transatlantic flight to a liaison aircraft LATI, you'll have to have a chat with Stefano since he's the best person to answer this question. btw the civil version of the S.79 was the S.83.

provencenut
Pilota

Post by provencenut » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:22 am

Thanks for welcoming me. Yes, I know, that the airliner version of S.79 was S.83, but LATI also used some S.82 planes painted in LATI's full livery. There exists a couple of profile arts showing this plane with green cheatline, but the photos shows the difference between the cheatline and tricolor band very clearly. My intend is to make LATI decals for Italeri SM.82, I'm very interested in the info (or close guess) about the real colours.

Mika

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Color

Post by Rick » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:05 am

I am not sure photo can help, but it is the lone photo color I know; It is a Sm73 with the markings of Avio Linee Italiane for continental european lines, while LATI was for transcontinental

Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Aeroal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:24 am

Mika,

There is a decal set available for I-ALAN. I saw it at the Scale Modelworld Exhibition at Telford last week, but did not buy it as there is no suitable kit other than the Broplan vac-form. Trouble is, there was just so much to see and take in, I didn't register who the maker was, although it may just have been Dutch Decal.

The decal sheet instructions did have full colour illustrations of the aeroplane. Sadly, I can't remember the price, either. Yet another 'Senior moment'! Looking back at the hall plan, the space for this vendor is indicated generally as 'Overseas Members'. It was at the top right hand corner of island 2G in Hall 2, as indicated on the exhibition plan printed in IPMS UK Magazine 04/2009. Did anyone else who was at Telford see this decal sheet, or possibly buy it, and if so can they shed any more light on the subject?

Regards,

Aeroal.

provencenut
Pilota

Post by provencenut » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:32 am

Hello Aeroal,

Yes, I know the existence of that set, as it was for sale on my own table :D I was the guy behind that table selling my decals. The problem is that I don't actually know which kind of blue that cheatline has been. I think, that it has been a kind of medium blue. But has it been the same on SM.82 and SM.83 planes?

Mika

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Below, builds from IPMS Italy. The lines running along the fuselages of tehse modesl are green. You may want to contact Fabio Beato (through Riccardo) and ask him what references he used. As a side note, I'd like to get some of these airliners in the Stormo Gallery - beautiful planes.

S.79CS - transatlantic airliner operated by Ala Littoria - 1/72 Airfix conversion

SM.83 - transatlantic airliner operated by Ala Littoria - 1/72 Airfix conversion

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:08 pm

I would love to buy this decal sheet! Please tell me how I can buy it.

Vincent

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Aeroal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am

Provencenut, Vincent et al,

Fabio Beato's conversion is absolutely stunning. A great build of a beautiful aircraft. A gallery write-up on how he did it would be something to look forward to.

The only book I have which covers Italian Civil Aviation of the 'Thirties is, 'Le Ali del Littorio', which was a labour of love by Guido Mannone. I believe it was privately published by the author's wife, after his death, about five years ago. This book has a wealth of illustrations of beautiful machines in eye-catching colour schemes. Unfortunately, the print colours can sometimes be indistinct. In the profile of I-ALAN, the cheat line along the fuselage appears to be a dark navy blue, much darker than the blue cheat lines on the illustrations of the SM 83's, I-ATTE and I-AZUR, above and below it. These three machines were all operated by the same airline, Ala Littoria S.A. Linee Atlantiche. The registration letters are in black.

I had a long think about it at the show and, needless to say, I now wish I had bought the decal sheet. I should have taken the decision in haste rather than now repenting at leisure!

Regards,

Aeroal.

provencenut
Pilota

Post by provencenut » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:43 am

Hi Vincent,

You can buy that LATI SM79 I-ALAN set straight from me at 10.00 EUR in 1/72 scale and 14.00 EUR in 1/48 scale + postage. Just contact by email at mika.jernfors[at]ippnet.fi I made these decals for Mr Stern, who made an article about his conversion at http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... rn/00.shtm He used Humbrol 41 Ivory for the base color, but I think that it is too whitish colour.

Fabio Beato has made really very great looking models! But the photos I have shows clearly, that the cheatline has been much more lighter than the dark green used by Fabio. The contrast between the green of the tricolor flag and the cheatline is remarkable. So, I'm quite sure that it has been medium blue. But still would like to get some confirmation for my thinking...

Regards,
Mika

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:25 pm

hello Mika,
I went to your sight but the computer said that the page was too long to translate. I was therefor unable to get your address and information to buy decal. Could you please post your address here and I will mail check for decal. Thank You

Vincent

please state cost plus postage

Chris Busbridge

Post by Chris Busbridge » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 am

The website link worked fine for me. The email address appears to be:

mika.jernfors@ippnet.fi

What with all the Broplan SM.74, SM75, SM.87, C.94 & Z.506C (conversion) kits, plus Italiankits G.18 & SM75PD (conversion), and that fact that the Supermodel SM.81 can easily be converted to an SM.73, it is possible to build a fleet of Ala Littoria airliners! Even Italeri's SM.82 can be added to the list.
This will mean making home made decals, unless mika can help out.

Tauro printed decals for 2 SM.73's, a DC-3 and a Ju.52 as Ala Littoria aircraft, but I'm not sure if they are still available.

provencenut
Pilota

Post by provencenut » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, my intend is to make the decals for all of those LATI /Ala Littoria airliners you mentioned. The only problem is to get enough reference material for drawing the decal artworks. I'm working with LATI SM.82 decals now.

Those Tauro decals can be bought from TauroModel:
http://www.tauromodel.it/italiano/72558.htm
http://www.tauromodel.it/italiano/72529.htm

Regards,
Mika

zochan
Pilota

Hello!

Post by zochan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:11 am

Good afternoon dear colleagues.
I the aeromodeller, have very much interested conversion SM.83.
I wish to collect, but alas the information is not present, searched for drawings, has got on Your forum.
The book "Le Ali del Littorio" has very much interested.
It can can help me. I ask you of the help, the tonic any promoting information.

Ugo
Pilota

Post by Ugo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Here is my drawing :wink:

Ugo
Ugo Crisponi