Ba-88 Color question

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
tanker149805
Comandante di Squadriglia

Ba-88 Color question

Post by tanker149805 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 am

I am building the 1/48 Warrior Ba-88 for the 98sq`40 North African T2 basing timeframe. I have already shot the base coat of Verde Mimetico 3 with mottles of Giallo Mimetico 3. Are the color profiles in the Ali-Italia correct or should I use the Ba-88 profile found in the Stormo color gallery for the Bruno Mimetico application? Do I use Bruno Mimetico at all? All the builds that I see online of this plane don`t use this color. I understand that this particular shade of BM is more like Niccola chiaro found on later Macchi`s. Thank you.

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Breda 88 Camouflage in Africa

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:54 am

According to CMPR Notiziario n°2/2004 page 11, the camouglage used on the national territory was not modified when the planes were sent in Africa. According to CMPR the camouflage is constituted by little mottles of Giallo mimetico 3 (mimetic yellow 3) (probable) on a background of Verde mimetico 3 (mimetic green 3) (probable).
the booklet of Alid'Italia n°19 shows in the second cover page a continental camouflage in three colors, only for the plane 76-6 an overspraying in mimetic yellow is present .
I attach also an image from the magazine "Air magazine" n°49; in my opinion three colors are more probable, but this is only an opinion of mine

Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

tanker149805

Post by tanker149805 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you Ricardo! You guys here on this forum are awesome with your replicas of the Regia Aeronautica`s warplanes! Your information is in line with my references also...In retrospect I should have shot the GM3 first and then mottled with VM3 for a lighter look. All the photos I have had the dark look to them..as well you know. I also shot underwing white wingtips in an addition to a black cross as the Ali `D Italia book has a photo of a wrecked Ba-88 with them.. I think that with the BM overshoot it will look wicked..just like the real aircraft! I just finished the 1/48 Warrior Ba-65 and Special Hobby came out with an injected moulded one...will we be lucky for the same scenario for the Ba-88? I certainly hope so!