Requesting help finding Italian war records

Post topics relating to the Regia Aeronautica, OOB, planning, strategy, tactics, strategic bombing, personalites (e.g., Italo Balbo, Giulio Douhet)
stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by stefanuccio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 pm

dear Jim
this letter is obviously a piece of history full of admiration and cameradery how it is expected from who fought in the sky in any air force
A lot more detailes are now adding to the general pictures but i personally feel that a lot more are needed what puzzels me most of this account is the fact that a german aircraft is mentioned in the attack which in my opinion complicates researchers findings
i am not a resercher but i am sure the willing members of stormomagazine are going to be encouraged by this sensitive and worthed issue to put theyr knowledge to good use to aid your request for help
kind regards
stefano

88jimmeyer
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by 88jimmeyer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 pm

When I first started doing this research, I personaly, along with my family had always thought he was shot down by a German fighter. Until another person on another form pionted out Pg. 152 in the book Fighters Over Tunisia with claims that it could possibly been a Italian MC-202. Stefano Lazzaro and other researchers in Italiay have found evidence of an Italian pilot downing a P-38 in the same area and time but most of the records in that time are missing or no longer exist. Two P-38's where lost on that mission that day and if I caould find out who shot who down in what location, it would make this research alot easier. I also look at it this way, we have one area of interest found for a possible crash site, if the Italian records can not be found, one of the missing pilots (my Uncle or Lt. Ivan Salts) will be found and brought home.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:11 am

hallo Jim
i have got you now! i understand the sense and direction of your reserch Dont expect immediate results even if this matter has been unresolved for many years and with the problem of record going missing after long time
there could still be a reasonable chance to find out more about this episode
Some of our members that have offer to help you have excellent historical
knowledge with a solid background
Stefano Lazzaro is specific and very precise and extremely knowlegeble has my full estime and if he has offer to look in this matter to help you is certainly a good advantage for you
kind regards
stefano pecorelli

88jimmeyer

Post by 88jimmeyer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 pm

A little up date on some research.

With documents in hand and many interviews done, the DPMO has a area of interest. The letter i recieved shows a map of the flight route taken on the return trip from Sfax. on the map, it has a circle where the enemy fighters engaged the formation.
Acording to the debriefing report from the bomber crew that witnessed the action, the crew was unable to identify the fighter that engaged the formation but they did record the time, speed and location the formation was flying. At angles 19, it put the area of interest in a 33 mile radius.
Due to securty reasons I can not be more specific of the area of interest. My family and I would like to thank everyone who had spent thier personal time looking for information that i requested. Iwill keep you updated as more information comes in.

Thanks again and Merry Christmass

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Dear Jim,

this is a good news from you. We wish you to find the crash site, so you can properly honour your Dear.
By my side, I'm still trying to find the Italian pilot who shot him down. Past days I contacted Associazione Arma Aeronautica (the Italian Air Force Veterans Association) to know whether Cesare Panizza was in list with them. Sadly he was not. Now I'll try with UNUCI, a similar association of retired Italian Armed Forces' Officers (whose I belong). I'll keep you updated.

In the meanwhile, I wish to you, your family and all the friends of this forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :D

Stefano Lazzaro