RAF raid on Lecce Airfield

Post topics relating to the Regia Aeronautica, OOB, planning, strategy, tactics, strategic bombing, personalites (e.g., Italo Balbo, Giulio Douhet)
afcbsimon
Pilota

RAF raid on Lecce Airfield

Post by afcbsimon » Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 am

Hi all,

I am currently researching No.30 RAF Squadron, in particular the years they flew the Bristol Blenheim 1938-1941. Whilst going through some of the records I have I read several reports detailing a dawn raid on Regia Aeronautica aircraft at Lecce Airfield on 28th March 1941.

Unforunately I have been unable to find any further information regarding this raid so I am hoping some experts on this forum may be able to help.

I would like to find out why the Italian aircraft were all lined up as if on parade. I know 28th March is the anniversary of the conception of the RA but were they expecting a dignitary to visit? What damage/casualties were sustained by the RA? Which Sqn's of the RA had aircraft at Lecce that day?

Any information/photographs would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Simon Lord

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Hello Simon,
The only source that I can think of that might have the info you are looking for is the book: Air war for Yugoslavia, Greece, and Crete, 1940-41 By Christopher F. Shores, Brian Cull, Nicola Malizia.
Hope this helps,
Vincent.

Gabriele Luciani
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Gabriele Luciani » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Simon
I see your post only today...I am of Lecce; the airfield is near Galatina (about 20 miles far) and in the summer of 1943 was also bombed by USAAC (in the reports the airfiled was nomed San Donato airfiled; the vilage of San Donato is the town more closet to the airfiled) and in 1944 by one or two Me.110 of Luftwaffe ; during the 2° w.w. and before 9.8.1943 many formations of Regia Aeronautica were here; the first in 1939-1940 was the 37° st. with S.81 as this my 1/72 model of one S.81 of the same 37° st. during 1940 :
afther there were BR.20 and Ju 87 until 1941, employed against the greeks but also german warplanes . If you want or need other information, tell to me: I will try to be more precise

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

SM81 Lecce Airfield

Post by Aeroal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Gabriele,

Congratulations on a superb SM81. A beautifully painted colour scheme.

Regards,

Aeroal.

Gabriele Luciani
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Re: SM81 Lecce Airfield

Post by Gabriele Luciani » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 am

Aeroal wrote:Gabriele,

Congratulations on a superb SM81. A beautifully painted colour scheme.

Regards,

Aeroal.
Hi, if you want see two other pcitures of my S.81 of Galatina here: http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewto ... highlight=
Gab. :wink: