S.82 Trasporto caccia

Post topics relating to the invasion of British Somaliland, incursions into the Sudan, the defense of Eritrea, Italian Somaliland and Ethopia
Graham Boak
Pilota

S.82 Trasporto caccia

Post by Graham Boak » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 am

I'm interested in the two S.82s used to transport CR.42s to Ethiopia. In particular, how the fighters were loaded, and where the component parts were carried. These aircraft had two additional fuel tanks - where were these situated?

It would make a a nice combination, having a CR.42 half-loaded through the bombbay, but the Italeri kit will need some modification, and just what isn't clear from my sources. I have the booklet in the S.82 kit, and the Ali d'Italia for both types.

I presume the aircraft were on the strength of the 149th, but what were their individual numbers? Just what camouflage pattern was used (referring to the CPMR booklet, B5 or C7? Or some other?)

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Graham Boak
Pilota

Post by Graham Boak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks, Vince. These photos are helpful, and I have found a few more that show the fuselage bottom cutaway behind the bombbay doors, enough to clear the rear of the CR.42 fuselage. There is no suggestion how this was filled in flight, if at all.

I added the separate posting on camouflage and markings, as I thought that might be better known than the details of the loading and engineering changes. However, it seems that the reverse is true.

There is a colour photo of 607-6 in Ethiopia, in the banded camouflage, but with people getting out of the rear door. So this is probably not one of the two CT aircraft. This may mean that they were with 608 squadriglia, but perhaps that is too much guesswork.