Hanriot HD.2 Sole Italian Floatplane

Post topics relating to the Great War, the war with Austria and Germany, the war in the Adriatic, e.g., Ansaldo flights over Vienna, the development of Macchi fighters, Caproni Heavy Bombers
Mario
Pilota

Hanriot HD.2 Sole Italian Floatplane

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:35 pm

Can anyone help me with information on the sole Hanriot HD.1/2(?) No. 5 floatplane that was sent to Venice for evaluation at the Miraglia Navel Air Station. The three photos that I have come across show what looks like an additional fin or float attached to the bottom of the fuselage ending at the rear fuselage kingpost.

1) Is this indeed a float or a fin? Could anyone enlighten me regarding the dimentions, shape and method of attachment?

2) The Windsock datafiles as well as the large volume Schiffer publication "Italian Aces of WW1and there Aircraft" are unable to determine whether this Hanriot was marked in Italian or French markings (I suspect French). Again if anyone has information to enlighten me that would be greatly appreciated.

I am searching for an interesting and esoteric subject to do the Eduard HD.2 kit and have come across this particular aircraft.

TIA
Mario