fiat cr 42 as bombs

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

fiat cr 42 as bombs

Post by stefanuccio » Sun May 10, 2009 5:16 pm

i have recently purchesed the italeri fiat cr 42 1/48 scale
in the instructions i find strange that the version of the regia aeronautica 15o stormo assalto barce north africa 1942 aircraft has no bombs or wings pilons.
this particular plane belonged to ten.colonnello raffaello colacicchi allora comandante di squadra of that group.
the 15o stormo arrived in bengazi libia the 7 september 1942 in support of the ground troops this squadron operated ground attack by bombing and strefing british convois of tanks,trucks and troops .
by the time this operations were taking place the biplane cr 42 was already being demoted as figther and use as graund attack [assalto] therefore it was already modified with wings pilons and bombs of 50 kg under theyr wings unless of course i am missing something here i think that the instructions could be missing those bombs/wing pilons afterall.
the airframe classics fiat cr 42 as by vince tassone in our gallery is possibli the correct version as includes such modifications anibody agree
ciao a tutti
stefano

Cjohn62
Comandante di Squadriglia

CR.42 AS

Post by Cjohn62 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:25 am

Stefano,

I noted this as well in the Italeri 1/72 scale CR.42 AS kit. The reason I think that they depict the aiorcraft this way may be that the available photos of this aircraft are from the rear quarter, and the wing bomb racks are not visible. My opinion is that since the aircraft is a CR.42 AS, it should be equiped with bomb racks. A few aircraft may have also at some point been equiped with fuselage racks as well. There are a few photos of aircraft armourers loading bombs on the wing racks, with fuselage racks visible in the backgraound. Are you planning to model the aircraft with the correct double oil cooler arrangement? I would like to see how you approach this. I have considered using plastruc tubing.

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Italeri Fiat CR42as, Bomb Racks and Bombs.

Post by Aeroal » Wed May 20, 2009 11:35 am

Stefanuccio,

I don't know which version of this kit you have bought, but the original issue of this kit in the UK - Fiat CR42LW(Luftwaffe), Kit No. 2640 comes complete with underwing bomb racks, but no bombs. Belcher Bits of Canada do a selection of resin 1:48 Italian bombs. Either the manufacturer or Aeroclub in the UK should be able to provide you with ordnance.

Regards,

Aeroal.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 pm

A strange short-coming of this otherwise very nice kit (LW). Interestingly, the Tamiya repackaged version of this kit does contain the underwing bomb racks and associated bombs. I recall Jean building this kit with the underwing bomb racks + bombs. As I recall he sent in some pics that I never got around to posting (dummy me !). It would be wortwhile pm'ing Jean on what he did to add the pylons and bombs - probably from the CA kit ? Nice post.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Wed May 20, 2009 4:49 pm

hallo aeroal
hallo cjohn62
the modification of the filter on this plane puzzles me i have to think about and infact i am open to suggestions
the version i am building is
r.a. 387a squadriglia 158o gruppo 50o stormo assalto libya 1942
this aircraft used in a.s. as ground attack support has pilon and bombs as it should because in 1942 this fighter was already been demoted to support role and therefore its configuration seems correct
the other versions
r.a. 20a squadriglia 46o gruppo 15o stormo assalto el adem n.africa 1942
r.a. 15o stormo assalto barce n.africa 1942 [this being the aircraft of te.col.raffaello colacicchi commander of the squadron at that time]
this two aircrafts belong to the 15o stormo "assalto" and not "caccia" meaning that the planes were already prepared for the change in the strategy of theyr new role .
the 15o stormo arrived in bengazi libya on the 7 september 1942 by which time the situation in the theater of operations was degenerating quickly for the italians
my point is that this versions should also rappresent ground attack aircrafts
therefore complited with pilons and 50 kg bombs
the other version also offers some controversy the version
r.a. scuola caccia assalto ravenna italy 1942
this plane paint scheme is very unusual for a fiat as the smoke rings are prerogative om the aermacchi ind. a the time suggest that this painting was not its original it migth have been done on the field or after a revision.
however i fund in same colour table book called "fliyng colors" been in two tone of green and not in italian sand like the instruction manual suggests.
i have seen some other photo of it
regia aeronautica vol. c.shores page 63 which shows pilons but no bombs
colori e schemi mimetici r.a.1935-1943 a.degl innocenti u.postiglione photo n.80 page 129 also with pilons and no bombs.
in this photo the authors remark is that according to the photographer who took the picture he remember this plane to be in two tone green camouflage??!!
the puzzle is complcated further thi plane belongs to a training school as you can suspect from the neked landing geres so why that camouflage?
unless of course it might have been eployed in othe roles

greetings
ciao!
stefanuccio

p.s the kit in question is italeri fiat cr 42 as falco 1/48 scale no.2653

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Wed May 20, 2009 5:02 pm

hallo vince
thanks for your replay
in the gallery i have seen a fiat cr 42 as built by yourself
this plane is a kit from classics airframes
the final product of this kit is a real work of art but its also very correct i believe as it shows this aircraft ready to roll with pilons and bombs
as i have specified in other posts this is the aircraft of ten.colonnello raffaello colacicchi comandante di squadra
as the 15o stormo arrived in bengazi libya 7/sep/1942 as an assalto unit after hard work and sacrifices this squadron was ready to prove theyr point
salutissimi
ciaio
stefano

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

CR42 Ordnance.

Post by Aeroal » Thu May 21, 2009 4:29 am

Stefanuccio,

Another source of small Italian bombs, eminently suitable for the CR42 Assalto is the Czechmaster accessory, 4104 Fiat CR32 Quater 1:48 resin detail set. The bombs are little beauties and ideal for the Falco.

I will be very interested to see how you overcome the Africa Settentrionale double oil cooler at the wing root. It seems strange that no Italian, or East European resin manufacturer has produced a resin goody for this part which could be slotted into a prescribed cut-out in the leading edge/wingroot junction. A product for Stormo? I suppose the same could be said for an aftermarket cowling with the additional cooling slots. This would probably be more difficult as the squadron fitter presumably cut the slots out as and where he pleased. I suppose we will just have to cut out our own slots on cowlings for an accurate replica of a particular machine. Tedious exercise, though.

Regards,

Aeroal.

Cjohn62

CR.42 AS

Post by Cjohn62 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:59 am

Good morning All,

A few months ago I submitted to Quickboost my wishlist of 1/72 and 1/48 CR.42 parts consisting of:

Corrected Carburetor Sand Filters for CR.42 AS/LW (1/72, 1/48)
Louvered Forward Cowling for CR.42 BA/CB (1/72, 1/48)
Half-Rount Carburetor Intake for standard CR.42 (1/48)
Rectangular Carburetor Intake for CR.42 CN (1/72, 1/48)
Generator and Search Lights for CR.42 CN (1/48)
Flame dampening Exhaust for CR.42 CN/LW (1/72, 1/48)
Double Oil Cooler Fairings for CR.42 AS/BA/CB/CN/LW (1/72, 1/48)

Perhaps someday soon Quickboost will shower us with CR.42 parts. Perhaps if averyone sends them emails about these parts the will be further encouraged. At any rate I keep checking to see if they have fulfilled my wishes.

Additionally, I posted a question on the Reference Material Forum a few months ago about CR.42 oil coolers. Riccardo Tratta replied with drawings from the Fiat factory spares catalog that show the double oil coolers in all their glory (with the posible exception of the exhaust). This posting would prove invaluable to anyone wishing to model a CR.42.

I have both the 1/72 and 1/48 Italeri CR.42 kits (and Eduard photoetch sets) sitting on my build pile, along with a Classic Airframes CR.42 AS that I may use for parts. I feel that the Italeri kits are generally more accurate in shape and detail (with the exception of the overdone fabric on the fuselage, and the too deep and somewhat misshapen sand filter) not to mention that it looks easier to build. Once I finish the Eduard P-39 I retrieved from the "Shelf of Doom" perhaps I will start a CR.42.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm

i agree with cjohn62 modellers of fiat cr 42 would appreciate this kind of parts especially for accuracy
ciao stefano