Another Great Regia Aeronautica book

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Another Great Regia Aeronautica book

Post by Luftwoller » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi All, i recieved this book through the post today and man, what a cracker it is too. So many unpublished pictures and many in colour too. Chris Dunning is definately onto another winner here,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, I'm ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

François
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by François » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I received it Monday, and I agree with you, great book! If I can suggest another book by Chris Dunning, Courage Alone, The Italian Air Force, 1940-1943, Hikoki Publications. It contains unit histories, orders of battle and a lot more...

Great reading !!!!!!!!!!!

François!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am

Yes Chris did a good job on this book and Courage Alone.

modeldad
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by modeldad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

While Chris wrote some of the history, Caruana did the color and camouflage and it probably sets Italann camouflage information back about a decade or two. Back to the history, very superficial and not well written.

As others have pointed out, the bibliography is outdated and newer stuff was never looked at

Sorry, but this is a very bad effort and the slickness hides so much that is wrong.
Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:42 pm

modeldad wrote:Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

The pictures have been around and can be found at a number o fplaces including the internet.

While Chris wrote some of the history, Caruana did the color and camouflage and it probably sets Italann camouflage information back about a decade or two. Back to the history, very superficial and not well written.

As others have pointed out, the bibliography is outdated and newer stuff was never looked at

Sorry, but this is a very bad effort and the slickness hides so much that is wrong.
Quote.. :(

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

RA Book

Post by Rick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 am

I agree, in my opinion Steven is right
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by m.lacivita » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:46 am

Gotta agree with M'dad.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:43 am

The collection of photos is the strength of this book (over 600 I believe, many new) and if you're expecting the level of research that Chris presented in Courage Alone, you're not going to find it, but nonetheless a good addition to a subject that is under-represented in the English speaking language.

François

Post by François » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

I'm happy with this book because it's a nice overview of th RA operations, not just limited to the 1940-1943 period. An easy way to have basic info on some campaings that I have nothing on them...

It's a great book for people (like me!), who recently developped an interest in Italian military aviation.

François!

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm

This book has been available here for some time. I saw about it in a monthly air magazine which I buy. I bought it straight away. As an in-depth reference book about the subject it is maybe not that good, but as an easy to pick up, quick reference guide it fills a gap. There are not that many books about the Regia Aeronautica.
Dave.
There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight.

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

I can only support Modeldad opinion on this book. You may turn it in any sense at all, it is not even to half of the quality of "Courage alone"! I can understand that for a beginner in the field of RA it might look fantastic, but it is not and I sincerely regret to have spend money for that book. R. Caruana certainly does very nice profiles but there are very few developments for the different camos used by the RA, the differences of the colors from one constructor to another and so on.Not a good deal.

JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by JeffZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 pm

This reference is not on the same level as Courage Alone, however I don't believe it was meant to be. The collection of photos and some new information contained in this reference does make it a good addition to my book collection.