Movies: Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker and Cats - Box Office Flops

Discuss current events and headline stories, stock market trends, investing, the War on Terrorism, Border Security, the War in Iraq and Afghanistan
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am

Editor wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 pm
That's a refined way of looking at it. I think we would need more meat around the plot, such as if the Marines arrive in Rome, do they start shooting, do the Romans attack, how do they interact with each other etc. Roman politics were quiet evolved, the modern day Senate in the US and parliamentary systems like Canada and Britain rely on this governing body, which first appeared during the Roman Republic about 2000 yrs ago - there was a reason why the Romans ruled the known world for almost 1000yrs and their legacy is everywhere. If you read Julius Caesar's The Gallic War you see clearly that the Roman Senate did not want to wage war in Gaul or elsewhere and that Caesar had to find a pretext to invade Gaul/France and later Britain (does this remind you of the Gulf of Tonkin/Iraq WMD?). I don't know if LBJ ever knew that the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a pretext? as far as I know the CIA/military intelligence talked him into an escalation of the war with N. Vietnam - makes you wonder why Trump is so suspicious of the CIA/Intelligence (Iraq?) when guys like John Brennan and James Clapper are running around the hallways of Washington.
If I'd been my age in 1964 when Gulf of Tonkin happened likely would had thrown in with the anti-warriors, not with the university types, maybe Ron Paul And The Libertarians cutting catchy tunes ala "Ain't Gonna Be Around" to the Russians, "Your Century's Next" to the Chinese, "Leave Us Alone, We'll Do You Likewise" to rest of the world :P Yep, let Ho Chi Minh conquer South Vietnam whilst "Doing A Nixon" with Mao knowing it really was all about the Chinese Commies then, full metal to pedal meantime on all technology to get precision guided weapons by the late 1960s, tactical wire-guided ones for sure. LBJ was incapable of negotiating with the Commies "outside the box" built around him by U.S. Foreign Policy Establishment Swamp Critters then, JFK & Barry Goldwater might had which is why I'd love for Hollywood to do a "what-if" 1964 Goldwater-Kennedy Presidential Debates flick to particularly ascertain what Goldwater's foreign policy might had been, what challenges to JFK's he'd could had presented.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Editor » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm

RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am

If I'd been my age in 1964 when Gulf of Tonkin happened likely would had thrown in with the anti-warriors, not with the university types, maybe Ron Paul And The Libertarians
I like Rand Paul's message, I don't always agree with his positions but I love listening to him - he's always compelling - I didn't like it when Trump went after him during the Republican debates in 2016. Ron Paul was a favorite of university students, democrat and republican alike, I wish he'd stayed longer in politics, one of the few straightforward and honest politicians. The other day was I contrasting our Conservatives with how the Republicans conducted themselves in congress during impeachment (so many star Republicans, an incredible defense of Trump and Trump owes guys like Matt Gaetz, Nunes, Collins, Ratcliffe, Jim Jordan pretty much all of them in the Intelligence and Judiciary Committees) - they make our Conservatives look like amateurs, there's a reason why the US is a leader in most things - even our armed forces (as good as they think they are) are nowhere near the professionalism and expertise of the US - something you guys should be very proud of.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

And...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Editor wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm
I like Rand Paul's message, I don't always agree with his positions but I love listening to him - he's always compelling - I didn't like it when Trump went after him during the Republican debates in 2016. Ron Paul was a favorite of university students, democrat and republican alike, I wish he'd stayed longer in politics, one of the few straightforward and honest politicians. The other day was I contrasting our Conservatives with how the Republicans conducted themselves in congress during impeachment (so many star Republicans, an incredible defense of Trump and Trump owes guys like Matt Gaetz, Nunes, Collins, Ratcliffe, Jim Jordan pretty much all of them in the Intelligence and Judiciary Committees) - they make our Conservatives look like amateurs, there's a reason why the US is a leader in most things - even our armed forces (as good as they think they are) are nowhere near the professionalism and expertise of the US - something you guys should be very proud of.
…As I'd expect the Republicans very likely will get the House back this year they'll all be in leadership positions; keeping fingers crossed Kevin McCarthy doesn't "go Paul Ryan" on them :twisted:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: And...

Post by Editor » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:48 pm

RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:51 pm
…As I'd expect the Republicans very likely will get the House back this year they'll all be in leadership positions; keeping fingers crossed Kevin McCarthy doesn't "go Paul Ryan" on them :twisted:
I like McCarthy better than Paul Ryan. McCarthy would have been Speaker in 2015 if not for a gaff, I can't remember exactly what he said way back when but it sunk his chances to get voted in. The way Paul Ryan went after Trump in 2016 was disgraceful. You get the impression that Trump was right about the ineffectiveness of politicians, on a superficial level, but the defense of Trump that McCarthy mounted together with House Intell and Jud committee Republicans was masterful. It goes to show that being a politician isn't easy, when influenced by special interests decision making becomes indecisive, however when the objective was clear, as in the defense of Trump, the Republicans showed everything they were capable of, and it was an amazing display.

The Republicans should win back the House but Trey Gowdy thinks its too much of a hill to climb? Meadows, King and supposedly Pompeo are leaving. All three effective Republicans, but the most disturbing is Pompeo becasue I don't think Trump could endure another Tillerson; and Meadows, how can you not like that guy, and you can't be sure what you'll get in his place like a Romney. I hope Trump can talk Pompeo into staying longer.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Trey Needs To Get Out With Us "Teenage Wastelanders"

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Editor wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:48 pm
I like McCarthy better than Paul Ryan. McCarthy would have been Speaker in 2015 if not for a gaff, I can't remember exactly what he said way back when but it sunk his chances to get voted in. The way Paul Ryan went after Trump in 2016 was disgraceful. You get the impression that Trump was right about the ineffectiveness of politicians, on a superficial level, but the defense of Trump that McCarthy mounted together with House Intell and Jud committee Republicans was masterful. It goes to show that being a politician isn't easy, when influenced by special interests decision making becomes indecisive, however when the objective was clear, as in the defense of Trump, the Republicans showed everything they were capable of, and it was an amazing display.

The Republicans should win back the House but Trey Gowdy thinks its too much of a hill to climb? Meadows, King and supposedly Pompeo are leaving. All three effective Republicans, but the most disturbing is Pompeo becasue I don't think Trump could endure another Tillerson; and Meadows, how can you not like that guy, and you can't be sure what you'll get in his place like a Romney. I hope Trump can talk Pompeo into staying longer.
I'd heard Trey Gowdy say that, had to "clean out my ears" on that one, he's not been "Out Here In The Fields" (shameless nod to The Who's "Baba O' Riley") with those of us having been wasted-over and abused by Washington D.C. "Woodstockian Swampists" for two generations now - three tossing in AOC & The Squad!

Yes indeed, ya'll literally can see and taste the disgust Trumpistas & State Of Jefferson(ians) here in Cameron Park have for Nancy P & The Base Panderers, all the pro-Trump signs along California State Route 99 south of Merced to the "armpits" of California: Oildale & Bakersfield, latter world famous for its distinct style of County Music which as you'd guess I don't particularly care for but nevertheless admiring the gritty "Cal-Mex Conservativism" of the state's Great Valley destitute well it has been since God was a child!

Meadows & Pompeo are going to be just as valuable to Trump out of office; ain't sweat'n over another Tillerson swarming his way into Trump's favor, he - Trump - needed to "learn lessons" relying & trusting on Swampists to do his bidding, he has so were he to pick another Swampist he'll very quickly loose cred amongst his supporters, me included!