MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Post Reply
falcon04
Pilota
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am

MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by falcon04 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:35 am

MRP has a new set of very interesting acrylic lacquer paints - pre-thinned and rave reviewed by a number of testers.

These paints seem expensive but are supplied in 40 ml bottles.

The pigment is super fine - almost like an ink.

MRP has used Vitochart color designations.

https://mrpaint.sk/Italian

One question - is there a cross-reference table equating Vitochart designations with those used in the Color Reference Table on this site ?

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Nice colors...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:28 pm

...Too bad they weren't around in 2006 when I'd launched my "Italian Campaign" building every 1/72 scale kit could get my hands on! Down to last 10 "Italians" in stock excluding 6 Macchi C.202s now building BTW; am old enamel guy, plenty tins & bottles left, give away or toss them after 2022 well as model building publication resources, do hope I'll find "good homes" for the publications!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Editor » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Peter,
This is a good question.

Lacquers in general are pretty thin and like you said are ink-like (especially pre-thinned) - this is the key to spraying complex camo schemes like you see on most Italian WWII planes without over spray and in small scale 1/72, 1/48. You also need a good airbrush. The old Aeromaster lacquers were excellent for this kind of work and Richard gets some pretty good results using Humbrol enamels. You can do the same with acrylics but acrylics are very hard to work with. I haven't tried MRP lacquers but I'll give MRP a shout and try them out. The current table in the Stormo Color Guide is a little old now wrt Paint types e.g., Polly Scale is no longer available. The current table is based on the CMPR color chips and camouflage schemes.

Some of the MRP paints cross-reference directly with the current table such as Nocciola Chiaro, which is NC4. Giallo Cromo (dark) was used for theater markings such as planes operating on the Eastern front or RA planes painted with yellow noses in early 1941. Light Giallo cromo was used for interior G.55s. Verde Oliva Scuro is VOS2. Bianco Avorio is the same in the CMPR and Vito Charts. Azzurro Celeste was used on maritime planes such as the catapulte Re.2000 - there is no CMPR reference for this color although it has been discussed in this forum in the past.

Stefano Lazzaro just completed the latest Vito Chart update and I'll be posting it in the next month or two in the Color Guide but under its own heading - Vito Charts (it's quiet large and very thorough - probably the best update to this chart, certainly the most current). In it he provides FS numbers and cross-references the CMPR colors with the Vito Chart colors where a match is obtained.

The Vitocharts approach this topic differently than CMPR (now a little old) and look at artifacts in determining what color a plane was actually painted (the CMPR obtained paint chips, examined documents etc), so the FS numbers won't always line up and thus the Vito Charts seek to provide an alternative, a more accurate color hue/shade as well as other (new) colors since new material is always uncovered. The Vito Charts are more up-to-date than the CMPR work.

When I do future decal sheets I should provide CMPR and Vito Chart equivalents or cross-references to be complete. All Stormo decal sheets to date list only the CMPR colors.
Vince Tassone

Stefano
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Padua, Italy

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Stefano » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:22 am

I should point that Vitocharts are actually as old as CMPR chips, dating 1977. They were obtained in a some different way, since the Vito author took sampling at that time by the actual aircraft (with possibility of some weathered fading) or directly by the original paints at the factories. The CMPR tested colours on relics (weathering as above, or worse), on official chips (Tavola 10, Arson SISI) and on original factory wood models.
Need to say that CMPR wrote about "what the authors found, that no means it was all it actually existed". For instance, nothing is written about the blue for propellers and spinners. So, CMPR (nor with Vitocharts addings, indeed) shouldn't be considered the definitive manual for Regia Aeronautica painting, nothing like Merrick-Hitchcock or Ullmann studies, for instance.
However, I hope the little study I did, with all possible faults, could be of interest and could give some answer to old questions. I hope you'll appreciate it, too.
Stefano

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Too Late For Me...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 am

...Now that Italian aircraft paint coloration is back in the news here with MRP lacquer acrylics just when am ending my 14-year 1/72 scale Italian model building spree this year :shock: :crazy: :?

At least all my painting is consistent with CMPR/IPMS-Italy references, didn't know about Vidochart Italian colors till building the SEM Model FIAT G.12 not that long ago, likely would had incorporated them in with my earlier model builds!

BTW, like near everybody else modeling Luftwaffe aircraft in 1980 bought the Monogram Merrick-Hitchcock reference. Ullmann's book decades later upended the "Black Cross" folks like nothing since Karl Ries' 1963 seminal publication interpreting Reich Luftfahrtministerium L.Dv. 521/1 directives, still see models painted per Ries' color interpretations, give away here is extremely light RLM 71.

As said before am an enamel guy, got all the paints will need for building rest of the "Italians" well as Luftwaffe & Armee de l'Air kits in stock, still need to research Hungarian aircraft colors before commencing the Balaton Modell Savoia-Marchetti 75 build this spring.

Stefano
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Padua, Italy

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Stefano » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am

falcon04 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:35 am
One question - is there a cross-reference table equating Vitochart designations with those used in the Color Reference Table on this site ?
Sorry I forgot your question: yes, a cross-reference table is attached to Vitocharts. It deals about virtually all the enamel brand of the time, including Humbrol, of course.
I did only a Vito match with FSC, but I could give the table to Vince for publication, whether of interest.
Stefano

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Editor » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Stefano wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am
falcon04 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:35 am
One question - is there a cross-reference table equating Vitochart designations with those used in the Color Reference Table on this site ?
Sorry I forgot your question: yes, a cross-reference table is attached to Vitocharts. It deals about virtually all the enamel brand of the time, including Humbrol, of course.
I did only a Vito match with FSC, but I could give the table to Vince for publication, whether of interest.
Stefano
I already sent Pete the Cross Reference Table in 48002 so he should be ok for now.
Vince Tassone

falcon04
Pilota
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by falcon04 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks Vince and Stefano,

Paints ordered from SB, deciding which kit to sacrifice to the airbrush gods - 48th Secter / Hasegawa G.50 for a simple OOTB ( which is very hard for me to do !!) is the likely victim.

Pete Chalmers

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Editor » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm

falcon04 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 pm
Thanks Vince and Stefano,

Paints ordered from SB, deciding which kit to sacrifice to the airbrush gods - 48th Secter / Hasegawa G.50 for a simple OOTB ( which is very hard for me to do !!) is the likely victim.

Pete Chalmers
I would get a square sheet of plastic styrene from your local hobby shop and practice (and practice often) on that - I wouldn't waste a kit. Find the right pressure that your airbrush operates with no overspray and use a good airbrush such as an Iwata Micron CM-C Plus with a small nozzle 0.23/0.18mm. Badger makes a very nice affordable high-end airbrush Sotar with a Fine nozzle/needle 0.20mm. I sprayed my Finnish 1/48 G.50 in the Gallery with Aeromaster lacquers. Jean sprayed his 1/72 Ca.310/Ca.310s with a 0.15mm nozzle. I think Richard is using a Paasche. The key is to control the amount you spray, use small short bursts and build up the camo slowly. Also draw your camo on the model first using a light pencil, then paint.
Vince Tassone

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

If You Mean Me...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Editor wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm
falcon04 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 pm
Thanks Vince and Stefano,

Paints ordered from SB, deciding which kit to sacrifice to the airbrush gods - 48th Secter / Hasegawa G.50 for a simple OOTB ( which is very hard for me to do !!) is the likely victim.

Pete Chalmers
I would get a square sheet of plastic styrene from your local hobby shop and practice (and practice often) on that - I wouldn't waste a kit. Find the right pressure that your airbrush operates with no overspray and use a good airbrush such as an Iwata Micron CM-C Plus with a small nozzle 0.23/0.18mm. Badger makes a very nice affordable high-end airbrush Sotar with a Fine nozzle/needle 0.20mm. I sprayed my Finnish 1/48 G.50 in the Gallery with Aeromaster lacquers. Jean sprayed his 1/72 Ca.310/Ca.310s with a 0.15mm nozzle. I think Richard is using a Paasche. The key is to control the amount you spray, use small short bursts and build up the camo slowly. Also draw your camo on the model first using a light pencil, then paint.
…Am using Testors Azteks, never owned a Paasche, did own Binks external 1966-69, Badgers internals 1977-1990 when tried out early Azteks till December 1992, went back to them in 2004 when resumed modeling. Azteks aren't that great for ultra-fine spraying though managed to get really thin lines playing around with enamel mixes, every color, every bottle of any color having its own mix & spraying issues. I'd done pencil marking, problematic with resins, don't "take" like on plastics and then not all plastics, all my mottling done freehand BTW, including the SEM Model FIAT G.12, somebody asked me if the camo were decals :wtf:

Image

Image

falcon04
Pilota
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by falcon04 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks all for the tips - always open to other folks methods.

Here's a model I completed a bit over 20 years ago:

Image

Image

( Vince - I figured out Imgur - an old dog can learn new tricks )

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:58 am

falcon04 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am
Thanks all for the tips - always open to other folks methods.

Here's a model I completed a bit over 20 years ago:

Image

Image

( Vince - I figured out Imgur - an old dog can learn new tricks )

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Very Nice...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 am

falcon04 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am
Thanks all for the tips - always open to other folks methods.

Here's a model I completed a bit over 20 years ago:

( Vince - I figured out Imgur - an old dog can learn new tricks )
...Here's my 1/72nd SUPERMODDEL builds c. February 1990 employing Giorgio Apostolo's Humbrol enamel mixes per original 1977 CMPR Regia Aeronautica Italiana colors:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

97° Squadriglia "Red 4" was masked & spray painted on, not done anything like that since.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MRP Lacquer Paints - Italian Colors

Post by Editor » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 am

falcon04 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am
Thanks all for the tips - always open to other folks methods.

Here's a model I completed a bit over 20 years ago:

Image

Image

( Vince - I figured out Imgur - an old dog can learn new tricks )
Great job Pete! Jean Barby quality - well done! It doesn't look like you need tips :esmile: If you still have the photos of this build we should post it in the Gallery! Thanks for sharing Pete!
Vince Tassone

Post Reply