ALERT: COVID-19

Discuss current events and headline stories, stock market trends, investing, the War on Terrorism, Border Security, the War in Iraq and Afghanistan
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

ALERT: COVID-19

Post by Editor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 pm

The Coronavirus (COVID-19) is getting very serious and expanding dramatically throughout the world.

As you may have heard, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared COVID-19 a pandemic.

According to WHO, COVID-19 is believed to be spread mainly by coughing, sneezing, direct contact with someone who is sick with COVID-19 or with surfaces they have recently been touched. This is true for a number of illnesses like head colds or the flu.

We can all minimize our risk for any of these illnesses by:

• Frequently washing our hands.
• Covering coughs and sneezes.
• Avoiding touching our eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Staying at home and away from others if we are feeling ill.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

What's In A Name?!

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm

For the "Corona Virus" its three of them:

International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses

"UPDATE:The virus causing the current outbreak of coronavirus disease has been named "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)". The manuscript describing the name also reports the work of the ICTV Coronaviridae Study Group that determined the virus belongs to the existing species, Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus."

---

"The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) is concerned with the designation and naming of virus taxa (i.e. species, genus, family, etc.) rather than the designation of virus common names or disease names. For an outbreak of a new viral disease, there are three names to be decided: the disease, the virus and the species. The World Health Organization (WHO) is responsible for the first, expert virologists for the second, the ICTV for the third.

"WHO guidelines for naming of new human diseases can be found at:

"WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases"

and:

"WHO Best Practices for the Naming of New Human Infectious Diseases""

"The following article may also be of interest:

"Naming diseases: First do no harm"." (subscription access required)

"As experts on coronaviruses, the ICTV Coronaviridae Study Group has studied the classification (taxonomy) of the new virus. And given that they are experts on this family of viruses, they have also contributed their expertise to the naming of the virus."

"The disease name (which in many cases is different from the virus name) has been designated as COVID-19 by the WHO. The virus name, as suggested by the Coronaviridae Study Group is "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2" (SARS-CoV-2). And the species to which the virus SARS-CoV-2 belongs is Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus."

So, Which To Use?

COVID-19 per WHO given they'd named the disease, so methinks :roll:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ALERT: COVID-19

Post by Editor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Well I'm not a doctor, not a medical doctor that is, Stefano is :) The virus affecting the world is officially known as Covid-19. As a responsible member of the public I thought I would post an announcement as a reminder to be vigilant about minimizing risk through some simple daily practices - mainly hygienic.

Looking at the numbers, China and South Korea have now bent the curve on infections and the data from China is overlapping South Korea's so China's numbers look to be reliable and Trump said today that some country flight restrictions maybe removed sooner rather than later. Today's White House press conference was reassuring, Trump did well as he mobilizes the full force of the US government in partnership with the private sector. It also appears that deaths from Covid-19 are mainly elderly people with underlying conditions and nowhere near the number of deaths that resulted from swine flu H1N1 which killed 600,000 people worldwide in 2009 with no containment. Perhaps an over-reaction, seems so?
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Appears So...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Editor wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:22 pm
Well I'm not a doctor, not a medical doctor that is, Stefano is :) The virus affecting the world is officially known as Covid-19. As a responsible member of the public I thought I would post an announcement as a reminder to be vigilant about minimizing risk through some simple daily practices - mainly hygienic.

Looking at the numbers, China and South Korea have now bent the curve on infections and the data from China is overlapping South Korea's so China's numbers look to be reliable and Trump said today that some country flight restrictions maybe removed sooner rather than later. Today's White House press conference was reassuring, Trump did well as he mobilizes the full force of the US government in partnership with the private sector. It also appears that deaths from Covid-19 are mainly elderly people with underlying conditions and nowhere near the number of deaths that resulted from swine flu H1N1 which killed 600,000 people worldwide in 2009 with no containment. Perhaps an over-reaction, seems so?
…Also panic sanitary paper goods buying. CVS across the street rations sales; don't need them till months end, got enough paper towels to tide me over. Paper napkins, commercial restroom hand wipes well as paper toilet seat covers are substitutes, thin paper pulp wrapping paper if things get dire. Sears & Roebucks Catalogs aren't around though emaciated-sized daily editions of The Sacramento Bee are, never could cotton wiping me bottom with anything having news print on them :roll:

Am old enough to remember when polio & small pox were killers, former got my Dad's sister in 1940 leaving three kids for his mom to care for, got the first Salk shots in 1956, Sabin "sugar cubes" 1961, did get mild measles c.1958 though, boils was big deal as well, gross'n ya out those "war stories" me be :shock: Thank God for cheap, plentiful oil, 1973/79 Oil Embargos were major bummers, former just when I was taking college night courses when had to use the folk's 1963 Ford Galaxie.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:06 am

I saw that on tv, people fighting over toilet paper. At this point it's the fear of (irrational) fear. China needs to be held to account after this has passed. In the US, its estimated that as high as 90% of pharmaceutical drugs and medical equipment is now manufactured in China. If you visited that country, and I have on business, this is not surprising what's happened, but their subsequent handling and cover up is criminal.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Yep...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Editor wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:06 am
I saw that on tv, people fighting over toilet paper. At this point it's the fear of (irrational) fear. China needs to be held to account after this has passed. In the US, its estimated that as high as 90% of pharmaceutical drugs and medical equipment is now manufactured in China. If you visited that country, and I have on business, this is not surprising what's happened, but their subsequent handling and cover up is criminal.
...AND remember Rahm Emanuel's sage advice: "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." Trump otta issue another National Emergency just for manufacturing medical drugs & equipment!

Am going to Los Angeles County next weekend for the annual "cemetery tour", keeping sharp eyes & ears over how folks on way there and in county are behaving, drawing upon experiences whilst there & Riverside County during the 1979 Oil Embargo, people then weren't none too happy!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yep...

Post by Editor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:57 pm

RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm
Editor wrote:
...AND remember Rahm Emanuel's sage advice: "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." Trump otta issue another National Emergency just for manufacturing medical drugs & equipment!

Am going to Los Angeles County next weekend for the annual "cemetery tour", keeping sharp eyes & ears over how folks on way there and in county are behaving, drawing upon experiences whilst there & Riverside County during the 1979 Oil Embargo, people then weren't none too happy!
If I were you I would not be taking any trips unless absolutely necessary, you fall in that age category :surprised: And yes I agree the Democrats are not letting this crisis go to waste, it's as if they're rooting for people to die - it's quiet despicable and should be a warning to conservatives about the lengths the left will go to unseat this President (any conservative) - I think they were even trying to add an abortion amendment to the Covid-19 House bill that passed yesterday evening (nothing to do with Covid-19), I guess if Covid-19 won't kill an unborn the bill should take care of that.
Trump otta issue another National Emergency just for manufacturing medical drugs & equipment!
Good idea! I think a prominent Chinese economist(s) (if you can call a Communist that) were advocating to stop all shipments of antibiotics to the US as leverage in trade talks and even turned around a ship headed to the US full of medical equipment last week.

The other thing I would add is that this is the 2nd of 3rd pandemic that has originated from that country in the last 10 yrs. All three plagues in the middle ages that wiped out 2/3 of Italy's population (Italy was once the most populous country in Europe) had their origin in China, and historians argue that Italy never recovered from that - Italy was hit the hardest in the middle ages because the spice trade went through Italy first before distribution to Europe.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Nope...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Editor wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:57 pm
Editor wrote:

If I were you I would not be taking any trips unless absolutely necessary, you fall in that age category :surprised: And yes I agree the Democrats are not letting this crisis go to waste, it's as if they're rooting for people to die - it's quiet despicable and should be a warning to conservatives about the lengths the left will go to unseat this President (any conservative) - I think they were even trying to add an abortion amendment to the Covid-19 House bill that passed yesterday evening (nothing to do with Covid-19), I guess if Covid-19 won't kill an unborn the bill should take care of that.
Trump otta issue another National Emergency just for manufacturing medical drugs & equipment!
Good idea! I think a prominent Chinese economist(s) (if you can call a Communist that) were advocating to stop all shipments of antibiotics to the US as leverage in trade talks and even turned around a ship headed to the US full of medical equipment last week.

The other thing I would add is that this is the 2nd of 3rd pandemic that has originated from that country in the last 10 yrs. All three plagues in the middle ages that wiped out 2/3 of Italy's population (Italy was once the most populous country in Europe) had their origin in China, and historians argue that Italy never recovered from that - Italy was hit the hardest in the middle ages because the spice trade went through Italy first before distribution to Europe.
...Short of The Zombie Apocalypse ain't gonna postpone it, feel rotten all the time anyway, COVID-19's just one more rotten thing to get. BTW, two long-time neighbor friends here in Cameron Park cruised on the Grand Princess are ensconced at Travis AFB till next month, both lot older than me, their "adventure" detailed in The Mountain Democrat news here in El Dorado County, need to read it! Don't forget what the Black Death did as well to Italy never mind volcanos, 1944 Versuvius eruption notable for occurring during largest prolonged war on & over the Italian "boot" since antiquity unfortunately most destructive as well in terms of size & scope.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:47 am

If you go be sure to practice social distancing, if you touch a surface wash your hands immediately and if anyone is sick don't get near them.

The main problem with this virus is its rapid transmission, not that its lethal. This creates a high number of cases in a short period of time and with each case you get people who react to it well, others that get mild symptoms, others that require Intensive Care (IC) (mostly elderly) and those that die from it. Because cases are compressed in a short period of time, this overwhelms hospitals and those that need IC don't get it which spikes the number of deaths. This is at the heart of what is happening with Covid-19 and why governments are locking down ie., to reduce the number of cases so that the system doesn't get overwhelmed and that's where you come in Richard - do your part, be safe :esmile:
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Sure I Will!

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Editor wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:47 am
If you go be sure to practice social distancing, if you touch a surface wash your hands immediately and if anyone is sick don't get near them.

The main problem with this virus is its rapid transmission, not that its lethal. This creates a high number of cases in a short period of time and with each case you get people who react to it well, others that get mild symptoms, others that require Intensive Care (IC) (mostly elderly) and those that die from it. Because cases are compressed in a short period of time, this overwhelms hospitals and those that need IC don't get it which spikes the number of deaths. This is at the heart of what is happening with Covid-19 and why governments are locking down ie., to reduce the number of cases so that the system doesn't get overwhelmed and that's where you come in Richard - do your part, be safe :esmile:
Vince, I live alone, am perfectly OK. Just got back from Safeway North El Dorado Hills 4 miles west of me, only things they were out of are paper goods & sanitizers, nobody there wearing face masks, perfectly normal shopping day. That's not to say things could get worse, 9/11 definitely was for some days here insofar as nervous-acting people, SARS 2009 hardly was noticed, 1973/79 Oil Embargoes absolutely were disrupters, still remember panic gas buying first week when they'd hit. Biggest fear thing in my lifetime aside from 9/11 was 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, insane panic buying at local Ralphs supermarket where I'd lived in Lakewood, CA, despite it still went to grade school though every time heard air raid test siren would freak out, still remember GAM-77/AGM-28 Hound Dog missiles on delivery trucks parading down Los Angeles Basin Mid-Cities roads in the open instead of shrouded, obvious message "We've got'em and we'll launch 'em", potent stuff then for this 11 year old in October 1962!

RetiredInKalifornia

California COVID-19 Update

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Parts of California literally are shutting down insofar as "non-essential" travel being restricted, something not seen here since WWII. Unlike WWII no "Travel Wardens" will be patrolling roads, petroleum products, gasoline & diesel oil in particular, aren't rationed, are now in fact reaching lowest price levels since 9/11. Whether all fueling stations stay open during the COVID-19 National Emergency is uncertain, along with uncertainty whether enough restaurants & fast food emporiums remain open till April 1st have moved up my "cemetery tour" mentioned in posts above to March 18th & 19th instead of the weekend assuming they'll be open going to-from Los Angeles County. The last time I'd traveled a good distance during a world-wide panic period was the 1979 Oil Crises, still remember driving along U.S. 101 near Camp Roberts not seeing any oncoming traffic for nearly 15 minutes, gonna be counting vehicles as well this time!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm

We're shutting down here too, it's quiet unbelievable.

I think this event will represent a turning point in history, the end (or failure) of globalization and open borders.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Yes, I'd Say That...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Editor wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm
We're shutting down here too, it's quiet unbelievable.

I think this event will represent a turning point in history, the end (or failure) of globalization and open borders.
...Directly on par with post Pearl Harbor; sudden military attack graphically demonstrating U.S.A. vulnerability to foreign attack COVID-19 a modern day biological analog though not necessarily a deliberately engineered one, that discussion saved for later! Globalization with open national borders always has been the "wet dream" of pan-nationalists going back to the French Revolution, i.e. Napoleon wanted a "United States of Europe", it died in Moscow, Marx an international workers state, Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact, China, Yugoslavia, North Korea, Cuba et. al. repressive communist regimes collectively coming closest but not at all how Marx, Engels et. al. envisioned it being. COVID-19 IMHO unofficially begins the "long march" towards replacing Globalism with God knows what; no Hollywood bio sci-fi thriller can top the unequal socioeconomic effects of this social media-driven pandemic; real life always trumps fiction latter mere figments of writer's imaginations.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Globalists who believe in a borderless "country" are by definition unpatriotic, but you can't say that - such is the discourse today. Good point, don't know what comes next after Globalization - but one thing is for sure, if Trump survives this election he will lay waste to the left/globalists.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Looks Like He Will...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Editor wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Globalists who believe in a borderless "country" are by definition unpatriotic, but you can't say that - such is the discourse today. Good point, don't know what comes next after Globalization - but one thing is for sure, if Trump survives this election he will lay waste to the left/globalists.
…"Sleepie Joe" Biden will be the Democratic Party's Candidate, read Florida's turnout was better than expected, Trump's as well despite him doing little campaigning there. Trump also clinched the Republican candidacy tonight, effectively doesn't need to do any more campaigning, Brad Parscale though is charging full-steam despite COVID-19 indefinitely shutting down all "MAGA-Rallies", time now for the Trump campaign to take advantage of positive things being done to control COVID-19 e.g. TV, Internet & radio campaign "PSAs" encouraging folks to "do their part" interspersed with "good news" on what's being accomplished along with future actions, "Sleepy Joe" only can watch helplessly :evil:

This U.S. National Emergency is like no other since WWII insofar as demanding a full war-footing response, Trump so far has well delivered despite "Deep State" inertia, e.g. Centers For Disease Control I'd read notorious for slower than snail's pace responses to epidemics overnight went into "Trump-Speed" though preparations were underway weeks ago unbeknownst to most Americans, me included. Tucker Carlson who I like has gone half rogue ragging on some of Trumps COVID-19 responses particularly there not being enough ventilator machines, heard today U.S. military stocks could be called upon if necessary, production being ramped-up as well thanks to red-tape cutting. El Dorado County where I live as I write this at 8:07 p.m. Pacific Daylight has zero COVID-19 cases, next door Sacramento County has 40 plus 2 deaths, earliest am expecting "drive-thru" testing anywhere here is this weekend, keeping fingers crossed the "Corona Angel Of Death" passes us till the new cases plateau is reached hopefully sooner rather than later!