China 'forces Italy to BUY back masks and coronavirus supplies it had DONATED to Beijing just weeks earlier'

Discuss current events and headline stories, stock market trends, investing, the War on Terrorism, Border Security, the War in Iraq and Afghanistan
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

China 'forces Italy to BUY back masks and coronavirus supplies it had DONATED to Beijing just weeks earlier'

Post by Editor » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Hmm...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Till COVID-19 hit didn't know extent of Sino-Italian trade relations, USA could go Autarkic on China, not like Italy under Mussolini with regards to war goods production though certainly anything medical particularly medicines.
Original Art Rendered 1997

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: China 'forces Italy to BUY back masks and coronavirus supplies it had DONATED to Beijing just weeks earlier'

Post by Editor » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:56 pm

That's right, Sino-Italian trade is large. Italy is also China's favorite destination spot for tourism, in fact Italy is the most visited country and has been for sometime, it gets more visitors per year than its population. In the past top spot switched between Italy and France but Italy has pulled away so its no surprise that Italy got hit early and hard by Covid-19. I read through some internal documents a fews ago that put Italy's economy not far behind Germany's in size (something you never read on Wikipedia), bigger than the UK's and France's, allot of income goes unreported in Italy because of excessively high taxes (federal, provincial and municipal). I don't know why Italy doesn't assert itself like Germany and France do in the EU, as well as globally, but that's another discussion. China steals from Italy on a massive scale, like they do in the US. The latest example is a copy of the M.346. That plane started out as Yak trainer but turned into a solely Italian project by 2000, it's why the Russians broke the alliance and took all the work as well as a significant payout from Alenia (the Italians honored a bad contract on their part) - in the end the M.346 ended up as a derivative of the MB.339 and now China has a copy, down to the electronics supposedly. The Italian Aspide air-to-air missile was copied outright, some of their naval guns have been copied etc.

The US, as well as the West need to treat China like the West treated the USSR. As I mentioned in another thread, it's kind of silly to think in retrospect that the West thought it could do "good business" with Communists. The US needs to lead this effort, the only concern I have in the US is Democrats. I find it amusing how the US media fawn over Andrew Cuomo. Andrew Cuomo speaks English as if he learned it from a hobo, his brother is an embarrassment and both are nothing like their father.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

I Just Want A Haircut!

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 pm

The COVID-19 pandemic is the biggest political football ever handed to "our friends" on the Left insofar as pursuing their ultimate desire to keep all Humanity forever in paralyzing fear & dependence on them! European Union Bavaria cancelled Oktoberfest fearing COVID-19, Trump said he isn't cancelling the USA Republican National Convention regardless of COVID-19, I believe him, no longer believe Drs Fauci or Brix, Deep State Medical anybody else regardless if they're right medically. I'll take my chances with COVID-19, grandparents & Dad did over 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu, I did with Polio & Smallpox early 1950s, America didn't shut down for them! All I want is a haircut; two hair stylists in Auburn, CA 45 minutes northwest of me are defying state orders to close, just hope others in El Dorado County where I live will as well!

RetiredInKalifornia

Still Want A Haircut...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed May 13, 2020 2:17 pm

...though California Governor Gavin Newsom yesterday OK-ed Yuba and El Dorado Counties (latter wherein I live) "Enhanced Stage 2" COVID-19 containment medical plans to open up near all commercial businesses & shopping centers except hair salons, massage & tattoo parlors, schools & child care facilities, resume restaurant dine-in under "social distancing" guidelines. One hour ago cruised all of Cameron Park's commercial areas, many businesses have reopened for employee work & walk-in traffic though not yet the day care center across street from where I live. All except one franchise chain eatery haven't opened their dine-ins though most local independents have including my favorite Mexican, hour ago as well sat down to have my first in-restaurant meal in Cameron Park since March 13th, "Life Is 70% Good" :thumbup:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: China 'forces Italy to BUY back masks and coronavirus supplies it had DONATED to Beijing just weeks earlier'

Post by Editor » Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm

The operative word is 70%. I think Newsom is calling for a 3 month extension to the lock down in California even though the state hasn't been hit hard, ironically because of Trump's China ban on flights, that was resisted by California initially btw. If Newsom continues with an extension of the shutdown for another 3 months there won't be anything left to go back to. Elon Musk went back to work defying orders. I think Tesla leaves Californica in the next 5 yrs followed by many others - and I think California finally goes bankrupt. The original plan, even here in Canada was to flatten the curve, we've gone way beyond that target. Hospitals should be able to handle this problem now and if they can't, there's not much more as a society that we can do. Older people (above 70 yrs old), particularly those with weak immune systems and underlying conditions need to stay-in and look after themselves and the rest of us need to move on with life. I'm worried about the US, I thought they'd lead us out of this but that has clearly not happened - their healthcare experts are simply following what others in Europe have been doing and testing per capita in the US is way low. But I expect the US to arrive at a vaccine first (I hope). Internally I think the US is warring with itself and they simply can not get focused - and that's not good for Canada or the West.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Heard That...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu May 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Editor wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm
The operative word is 70%. I think Newsom is calling for a 3 month extension to the lock down in California even though the state hasn't been hit hard, ironically because of Trump's China ban on flights, that was resisted by California initially btw. If Newsom continues with an extension of the shutdown for another 3 months there won't be anything left to go back to. Elon Musk went back to work defying orders. I think Tesla leaves California in the next 5 yrs followed by many others - and I think California finally goes bankrupt. The original plan, even here in Canada was to flatten the curve, we've gone way beyond that target. Hospitals should be able to handle this problem now and if they can't, there's not much more as a society that we can do. Older people (above 70 yrs old), particularly those with weak immune systems and underlying conditions need to stay-in and look after themselves and the rest of us need to move on with life. I'm worried about the US, I thought they'd lead us out of this but that has clearly not happened - their healthcare experts are simply following what others in Europe have been doing and testing per capita in the US is way low. But I expect the US to arrive at a vaccine first (I hope). Internally I think the US is warring with itself and they simply can not get focused - and that's not good for Canada or the West.
…but how can he lock-down any county that meets Stage 3 or even 4 (full liberation) California state-published COVID control guidelines without risking loosing "good will" of county elected boards & health officials who know local conditions better than the State medical people :?: Fresno County's elected Sheriff said today she's too busy re-arresting criminals let go because of the states idiotic "no-bail" law to enforce anything COVID, El Dorado's elected Sheriff doesn't have released criminals-on-the-loose problems nor is he de facto enforcing them either, guy's got my "forever" vote :thumbup:

If by this time next month near all Northern California, Sierra Nevada & San Joaquin Valley counties aren't in "Enhanced Stage 2" ala El Dorado their elected sheriffs won't enforce COVID controls. Newsom faces massive humiliation if can't enforce State guidelines via uniformed law enforcement when his medical people can't convince county medical people to maintain the lock-down soon as majority of the 58 California counties enter Enhanced Stage 2 which could be early as next Thursday the 21st. Newsom also has to worry about being recalled, earliest possibility is this November if not then than in 2021 if California isn't fully Stage 4 by this year's end...getting pretty ugly here pretty fast :shock:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm

The problem with California is that no one will throw-out Newsom. Its hard to imagine that California was once Republican. Thank god I never moved there. To me the larger question is, and I think Mike mentioned this in another post, how is what China did to the world not an act of war? The Chinese stopped flights from Wuhan to the rest of China but they allowed those people to continue travel to Europe and the US and Canada and infect us all. The US is now approaching 100,000 deaths the equivalent number of people killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My feeling is, sadly, that China may very well get away with all this, look at the US' announcement yesterday afternoon to continue funding WHO and I think Trump still wants a trade deal with China.
Vince Tassone

RetiredInKalifornia

Newsom's "Future Toast"...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Editor wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm
The problem with California is that no one will throw-out Newsom. Its hard to imagine that California was once Republican. Thank god I never moved there. To me the larger question is, and I think Mike mentioned this in another post, how is what China did to the world not an act of war? The Chinese stopped flights from Wuhan to the rest of China but they allowed those people to continue travel to Europe and the US and Canada and infect us all. The US is now approaching 100,000 deaths the equivalent number of people killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My feeling is, sadly, that China may very well get away with all this, look at the US' announcement yesterday afternoon to continue funding WHO and I think Trump still wants a trade deal with China.
...Recall effort was underway before COVID-19 hit! Every day Newsom strings-out lock-down adds certainty he'll be recalled, hanging-hat on Trump passing Nancy Pelosi's multi-trillion Blue State Bail-Out House Bill is insane, state employee unions, SEIU for sure, will "primary" any Democrat who goes along with any State budget cuts never mind 10% salary cuts he's baked in the 2020-2021 Budget! Assuming he's not been recalled meantime Newsom will be "primaried" by a George Soros blessed & funded "AOC Communist", dude otta declare isn't running in 2022 now, spare himself humiliation later!

If Trump can definitively prove China letting COVID-19 loose on the world was maliciously allowed then there are grounds for it having been an Act Of War. Way short of war at minimum U.S.A. should impose permanent tariffs on all Chinese imports, go full-bore on U.S.A. manufacturing 100% of all medications, medical supplies & equipment, force Beijing to forgive U.S.A. debts to China indefinitely, all indeed possible plus more.